Engineering Sciences, Biological Sciences
I am currently working on...
北京快3线路 www.4w1e.cn Fermentation scale-up: In addition to the industry’s traditional trial-and-error approach, we’re advancing the field with a more rational, high-precision method based on computation and scale-down experiments. We’re doing this through a Public-Private Partnership involving DSM, Dutch and Chinese companies, technical universities in Delft and Shanghai – and all supported by our countries’ national science foundations. Together, we can work at the forefront of science, while ensuring that any developments are directly applicable within the industry.
The aspect of my work that excites and inspires me the most is...
Being able to turn fantasies and imagining about bio-processing into reality. I’m also passionate about bridging the gaps: Between lab-scale RT&D and industrial operations for instance; or between fundamental and applied science, and seasoned and junior experts. I’m also excited about bridging spaces between competences in the bioprocess value chain, from upstream processing, microbiology and fermentation to downstream processing, product formulation and application.
The breakthrough I would most like to see made in my field is...
The acceleration of the bio-based economy through the launch of new bio-refineries that efficiently convert renewable feedstock into a wide range of bio-products. I’d also like to see sustainability facts and considerations taken into full account in decision-making that affects the economy, ecology and our society.
Key areas of expertise:
- Industrial fermentation (incl. cell culture)
- Integrated bioprocess design
- Industrial bio-separations
- Strain performance testing
- Biomass pre-treatment
- Industrial hygiene
- Applied genomics and microbial physiology
- Bio-product formulation
- Project management
- Science management
- M.Sc., Chemical Engineering, Groningen University (the Netherlands)
- Ph.D., Biotechnology, Delft University of Technology (the Netherlands)
I represent DSM externally at:
- Technical University Delft – Honorary professor in Bioprocess design and integration
- BE-BASIC Foundation – Project coordinator
- BSDL-VLAG Advanced Course Bioprocess Design - Leader
- ESBES – Scientific committee member of the Bioprocess engineering course
- East China University of Science and Technology (ECUST) – Bioprocess engineering course leader
- Biotech Campus Delft – Steering committee
Delft, the Netherlands