Norman Salem, Jr.
Nutritional Sciences, Biological Sciences
I am currently working on…
北京快3线路 www.4w1e.cn New applications for glycolipids, as well as a project aimed at demonstrating the essentiality of arachidonic acid in early child development.
The aspect of my work that excites and inspires me the most is…
The opportunity – and challenge – of generating new ideas for nutritional lipids that provide benefits for public health, and that are also unique and valuable for my company. I have found this to be a lot harder than basic research “for its own sake”.
The breakthrough I would most like to see made in my field is…
The demonstration of the independent, essential role that arachidonic acid plays in the early development of the human brain, immune system, and more.
Key areas of expertise:
- Essential fatty acid biology
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Lipid biochemistry
- Nutritional biochemistry
- DHA in the nervous system
- B.S., Physics, Miami University (USA)
- Ph.D., Neurobiology, University of Rochester Medical Center (USA)
I represent DSM externally at:
- International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids (ISSFAL) – Corporate Board
- Lipids – Editorial Board
- Nutritional Neurosciences – Editorial Board
- NUTRAfoods – Editorial Board
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS) – Adjunct Professor, USUHS
Columbia, Maryland (USA)